Thursday, July 15, 2010

Some Tour Guiding Tid-bits

It's another hot day tour guiding in Williamstown! It's days like this that by the time we reach Spring St, the heart of the bustling metropolis that is Williamstown, MA (a bit of sarcasm for those who have never visited), my voice is practically gone! This is always quite depressing because my favorite story comes up on Spring St, right by Goff's, our Williams Shop. I tell my tours my favorite story of the rivalry between Williams and nearby Amherst College. The story goes that one night before a big football game, some Amherst students headed over to the Williams football field and carved a huge "A" right into the field. The Williams students were understandably upset, they waited a few days and then headed over to the Amherst field, where they carved in a big "B+". I suppose that's the kind of clever back-and-forth that you will get between the first and second best liberal arts colleges in the country, though Williams certainly got the best of that one.
When I was a freshmen, our Homecoming football game against Amherst was actually featured for ESPN Game Day. It was the first time they ever showed a Division III game, and it is know as the "biggest little game." We won that game and I was also caught in a photo that made the cover of the Williams alumni magazine! I am the little girl holding up her fist, wearing sunglasses, in the lower part of the cover.


Today is a tempo run! Tempo runs begin with a mile or so warm up, followed by alternating a half mile at hard effort level with a half mile easy, for a mile and a half. Then you just warm down for a mile or so. So that's what I'll be doing this afternoon in the Berkshires, hope your summers are going well! And go TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment