Wednesday, August 11, 2010

An Ode to the Snooze Button

It is a fairly well-known fact that I am not a morning person.
This fact has really only affected my parents and my sisters, when on those dark mornings of high school they would dare to talk to me at 6 am. I would, in short, bite their heads off - especially if the conversation, or attempted one, preceded my banana and bowl of Cheerios.
These days, I am still not a morning person. It's not as bad simply because I do not have to start my day prior to 6am. However, I have discovered I also cannot run in the mornings - and this is no gift during these hot, dry summer months.
This newest September issue of Runner's World magazine covered this trouble in its article "Weird Science," which investigated the 20 most perplexing body issues that plague runners. To my relief, they assert that even morning people do not perform their best early in the day. Apparently, in the morning our overall body temperature in lower, as well as the levels of some hormones, which means that our overall aerobic capacity is decreased during those first few hours after waking. Aha! I am normal...ish after all.
I feel vindicated.
I will continue my late afternoon, early evening, and nighttime runs with the knowledge that I am exercising during the peak of my strength, flexibility, emotional mood, and motivation. Even if it doesn't always feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment